1 stick salted butter
2 tbsp flour
1¼ cups heavy cream
3 cups whole milk
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese, plus 2-3 cups for the top
10 oz white American cheese
¼ Cup Louisiana Pepper Exchange Green Jalapeno Puree
½ cup peeled garlic cloves
½ tsp salt
4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1. Heat oven to 400°.
2. Coat garlic cloves with olive oil, wrap in foil, and roast for ~35-40 minutes. Once garlic is
removed, lower oven temperature to 350.
3. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add flour, whisk to incorporate.
4. After 1 minute, add milk. Whisk to combine. Add heavy cream.
5. When the roux is fully incorporated into the milk/cream, turn heat to low.
6. Add the 8 oz cheddar and all of the white American cheese, whisking slowly to combine.
7. Add jalapeno puree.
8. After cheese is fully incorporated, add roasted garlic cloves. Blend with immersion blender.
9. Remove from heat.
10. Boil 4 cups un-cooked elbow macaroni for 5-7 minutes. Drain.
11. Fold queso into macaroni
12. Bake in 9x13 or similar pan at 350°, covered with foil, for 25 minutes.
13. Remove from oven, uncover, and sprinkle ~2-3 cups of shredded cheddar evenly across the
top. Turn oven to 400°.
14. Bake uncovered for ~12-14 minutes.
15. Broil for extra color if desired.