- 1 ½ tbsp Achiote Blend
- 2 tbsp blood orange avocado oil
- 1 tbsp pineapple balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Louisiana Pepper Exchange Chipotle Puree
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of ½ orange
- Juice of ½ lime
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Pickled cabbage, pepitas, roasted corn, cotija cheese, or lime wedges for serving
- Make the achiote paste by combining the achiote blend with the blood orange avocado oil and pineapple balsamic. Stir well and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Marinate the chicken – in a large bowl, combine the achiote paste with the Louisiana Pepper Exchange Chipotle Puree, garlic, orange and lime juices, and salt. Add the chicken and use tongs to toss to coat. Marinate for at least an hour – overnight is even better.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and set at room temp for 30 mins prior to cooking to take the chill off the chicken. Heat a skillet over medium high heat and drizzle in additional blood orange avocado oil. Sear the chicken on one side until golden brown. Flip and lower the heat and continue cooking the chicken until the chicken is cooked through. It should be firm to the touch, opaque white throughout and the juices should run clear. A meat thermometer should register 165°F. All total, the cook time will be 8-12 mins.
- When you’re ready to build your bowl, the sky’s the limit! A base of rice or salad greens is a great start. Layer on sliced chicken, add roasted corn and avocado. Be sure to add in some crunch with pepitas. A little salty cheese like cotija or manchego is fantastic on this bowl. For a tangy element, try pickled cabbage or pickled red onion.
(thanks to our friends at Red Stick Spice – check them out for any special ingredients in this recipe like the Achiote Blend, Blood Orange Avocado Oil, and Pineapple Balsamic Vinegar.)
photos by: Raegan Labatt